Becoming a Preceptor
The Australasian College of Pharmacy is committed to the future of all pharmacists and works hard to ensure interns are equipped with practical skills and the latest clinical knowledge to succeed in the industry. By employing a College Intern, you’ll help strengthen and grow the community pharmacy industry and have the opportunity to drive progressive, professional programs for your pharmacy.
As outlined in the Pharmacy Board of Australia’s Registration Standard, to be approved as preceptor a pharmacist must:
- Hold general registration
- Have held general registration and practised as a pharmacist in Australia for a minimum of 12 months in the area of practice where the supervised practice is to be conducted (e.g. hospital or community pharmacy practice), unless the pharmacist has been registered for a shorter period and is approved by the Board to act as preceptor.
- Be practising in pharmacy premises (i.e. community pharmacy or hospital pharmacy department), or in other premises suitable for conducting supervised practice as determined by the Board on a case-by-case basis (e.g. a pharmaceutical company or pharmacy teaching institution).
- Not have conditions placed on his or her general registration that would impact on their ability to conduct the supervised practice of the intern.
- Have suitable relevant training or experience to act in this role. To apply for approval of a preceptor and premises, an application must be made by a final year pharmacy student / pharmacy graduate. The application must be lodged and approved by the Australian Pharmacy Board before any approved supervised practice can take place.
Preceptor Support and Resources
The College ITP is delivered through a combination of online learning and two, two-day face-to-face workshops. These workshops are scheduled well in advance and held at multiple session times to help you and your intern plan ahead. The College ITP strives to ensure that both interns and preceptors get the most out of their time together, which is why we have developed a number of resources, including:
- College ITP Preceptor Manual:
Detailing everything you’ll need for your time as a preceptor including a comprehensive checklist to help you manage your time and ensure both parties get the most out of the internship
For more information or to enquire about access to these modules, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rural Intern Training Allowance
Established under the 7CPA, the Rural Training Allowance (RTA) provides financial support to assist intern pharmacists from rural and remote areas to access compulsory intern training program activities. Visit the Pharmacy Programs Administrator website to learn more!
Why the College ITP?
- Foundations of Australian Community Pharmacy Course – The College delivers the Foundations of Australian Community Pharmacy Course. The purpose of this course is to provide overseas trained pharmacists wanting to work in Australia with the knowledge to ensure an easy pathway to a career in Australian community pharmacy. It is the perfect “bridging course” for overseas trained pharmacists looking to enrol in the College ITP. Those who enrol in and successfully complete the Career Preparedness for Australian Community Pharmacy course will receive a $500 discount off the price of the College Intern Training Program.
- Preceptor Support and Resources – Effectively manage the learning and mentoring of your intern with the aid of a comprehensive checklist, preceptor manual and CPD accredited modules
- Committed to Community Pharmacy – Interns keep up with the latest in pharmacy practice, have access to College resources and Professional Programs developed under the 7CPA
- Balance of Clinical and Practical Course Content – Interns develop confidence, knowledge and practical skills through challenging content preparing them for their pharmacy career
- Extensive Exam Support – Interns receive exclusive resources to support with exams including written and oral exam preparation, practice materials to use with you and personalised guidance from tutors
- Exclusive Access to Education and Networking – Interns receive FREE registration to APP Conference* on the Gold Coast (valued at $940), Pharmacy Connect^ in Sydney (valued at $295); to encourage ongoing professional development and to grow your professional pharmacy network!
*Excludes Street Party ^Excludes Conference Dinner